The following instructions are for installing Git for Windows or Git for Mac client software.
If you are installing Git into a Linux distro (including the Windows subsystem for Linux) then use the standard module install commands for the distribution. For example, the commands for Ubuntu would be
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install git.
Download & Install the Git software
- Download & Install Git for Windows or Git for Mac
In the installation wizard take the default options but ensure that the following selections are made:
- Select Ensure the following options are selected
- Ensure Use Git for the Windows command Prompt is selected
- Ensure Enable Git Credential Manager is selected
Verify the Installation
Verify that Git is correctly installed by opening a CMD or PowerShell window & entering the command
If you don’t see any errors Git is correctly installed.
- Open a CMD or PowerShell new window and run the following commands (substituting your details as required):
git config --global user.email "email@example.com" git config --global user.name "Your Name" git config --global credential.helper manager